Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Joker Scares the Shit Out of Me | Does Heath Ledger Deserve An Oscar? *SPOILERS*






So I watched The Dark Knight a couple nights ago...a day after opening night. Yes, I waited in line for an hour and bought the tickets a day before and lined up behind a bunch of over-weight, popcorn guzzling comic book nerds that feel they know Batman in person. It was a pain. And I know many of you have not seen it yet, but I don't care...I'm gonna write about it anyway.

Some people have made ridiculous claims that Heath Ledger is only getting oscar votes because of his tragic death half a year ago. I've even heard some people claim that Heath Ledger faked his death as a publicity stunt. Jesus, everyone's so skeptical these days. I say to all those people...please watch the movie first before you judge and make pretentious statements. If Heath's being considered for an oscar, it's because he now made The Joker the last person in the world I want to meet.

I, for one, was against all the hype of The Dark Knight because of all the people that assumed this was a good movie before they even saw it. I wanted to see it because Batman Begins, the prequel, was amazing and a sequel with The Joker was only going to make it more interesting. Anyways, I'm just going to say it now...Heath definitely deserves an Oscar for this movie, and I'm pretty sure he's going to win. He sizzled every time he was on screen and he made me squirm in my seat every time he spoke in that psychotic voice. His voice was just so twisted and the way he constantly licked his lips just gave me the impression that Heath was legitimately insane. It was chilling, but I wanted more. I wanted more psycho Heath. I thought about it for awhile and I know he deserves an oscar, and it's not just because he died half a year ago. If you just see him on screen, he's so twisted, so dark, so eerie...it's nothing like Heath. The Knight's Tale Heath or even the Brokeback Mountain Heath don't even compare to how far he had to reach to encompass the essence of The Joker. The whole movie, I didn't even process that Heath Ledger was playing The Joker, it's not even Heath at all. I swear to God, I saw evil in him.

Wait, I just lied, there was ONE moment in which I processed The Joker was Heath Ledger. It's the moment where he fires a rocket during the car chase and the recoil flings his hair in front of him...and I processed, just for that moment, that Joker was played by that guy from A Knight's Tale. But it's okay, it was just one moment.

Now, I still gotta give a shout out to The Joker's makeup crew and the movie's writers...especially the writers (they're always forgotten) who created this character...because although Heath acted it out...it's the writers that gave him the incredibly sick dialogue that will stick with me in my nightmares.
My nightmares, oh god...I can see it now...The Joker's maniacal laugh echoes throughout the room as he slowly slices my mouth open with a blade. Then, he'll grab the sides of my head before I topple over and stare into my drowsy eyes...tilting his head slightly to the left and smiling from cheek to cheek with his scarred face...and then he'll whisper to me...

"why so serious?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me put a smile on your face...